Monday, May 18, 2009

244: another twice as nice...

Hi.
Today 4 great tunes get their twice as nice:
The immortal Ode To Billie Joe.
(the saga continues :-)
The Brook Benton classic.
(the Mark Lanegan version I already put out on post nr.29,
the Margie Joseph version on post nr.235 and maybe
the most famous by Bobby Bland over at post nr.48)
The Buddy Buie/James Cobb/Harry Middlebrooks Jr.
/Mike Shapiro song, made famous by a.o. the Classics IV.
And finally the Hammerstein/Rodgers song which needs
ofcourse no further introduction...
(also a few versions on post nr.196)
-
Enjoy, and before I forget:
thanks to all the original bloggers out there,
without whom this constantly cosy, coincidental corny
cover-continuum couldn't continue co-exist...
-
1. Africa - Louie, Louie + Ode To Billy Joe (5:38)
2. Billy Larkin & The Delegates - Spooky (3:16)
3. Cal Tjader - Spooky (4:14)
4. Charles Earland - My Favorite Things (5:58)
5. Daly Wilson Bigband - Ode To Billy Joe (5:05)
6. Dorothy Ashby - My Favorite Things (5:48)
7. Doug Sahm - I'll Take Care Of You (4:21)
8. Earl Gaines - I'll Take Care Of You (2:49)
9. Eric Alexander Quartet - My Favorite Things (10:26)
10. Etta James - I'll Take Care Of You (4:59)
11. Gene Russell - My Favorite Things (4:51)
12. Howard Roberts Quartet - Spooky (2:43)
13. Irma Thomas - I'll Take Care Of You (3:21)
14. Jaki Byard - Ode To Billy Joe (5:03)
15. Joe Tex - Ode To Billie Joe (4:37)
16. John McLaughlin, Joey DeFrancesco, Elvin Jones
- My Favorite Things (6:16)
17. Johnny Hammond Smith - Ode To Billie Joe (3:18)
18. Louis Prima ft. Sam Butera & The Witnesses
- Ode To Billy Joe (2:58)
19. Mick Hucknall - I'll Take Care Of You (2:56)
(yeah I know; it isn't actually that bad at all :-)
20. Stanley Turrentine - Spooky (2:58)
21. Tav Falco Panther Burns - I'll Take Care Of You (3:04)
22. Tony Monaco - Ode To Billie Joe (radio edit) (8:24)
23. Van Morrison - I'll Take Care Of You (5:19)
24. Vidar Busk - Spooky (4:50)
-
244 another twice as nice (RS)

3 comments:

FASTMAN said...

THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH...FOR YOU HARD WORK....I DON'T CAN Wait OF THE WAH WAH COLLECTION.......

GREETZ FROM SWITZERLAND

Bill said...

Looks good. Thank you. DO you know of a blog in French that features 60's pop sang by teen heartthrobs? I can't find it.....

B

E-mile said...

sorry B, can't help you there, I don't know the bog...
peace, E-mile